Saturday, August 30, 2014

Rita Pierson

I don't know where I've been but I've only just found this wonderful woman and educator. There are many videos where she is addressing education and the sheer importance of what we do. Have a listen.



I loved what she said because it rings true for my own experiences working with new immigrants and refugees to Australia. They can often feel so deflated about their knowledge, or worse still, begin so optimistic and enthusiastic about school only to begin believing they "don't know anything". Some are so traumatised that they are never really 'present' in the classroom. The relationships we make with these students can be the catalyst for change. We show them that they matter, we start our learning by what knowledge they have already, and they ALWAYS have knowledge. We validate that what they feel is okay and we show them appropriate ways to express themselves. Every student deserves that!

No comments:

Post a Comment